Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Conditions the Benefit from iFES
Improving Functional Ability
Have you or a loved one experienced a traumatic brain injury? Restorative Therapies can help.
Many individuals who have sustained a brain injury will experience muscle weakness, loss of motor function on one or both sides of the body, gait impairments, tone, spasticity, and secondary complications that can impact quality of life and daily activities.
If you've experienced a traumatic brain injury, you may have questions about your long-term health and recovery options. Restorative Therapies can provide support.
How Restorative Therapies Can Help
We can help you improve your health and function which will allow you to participate in meaningful activities.
The many proven benefits of FES therapy for TBI include:
- Reduction of spasticity and improved range of motion
- Decreased risk of contractures
- High intensity patterned activity for neuro re-education
- Increased nervous system activity
- Improved alertness
- May facilitate gains in functional recovery (patient specific)
- “People with TBI have a reduction in peak aerobic capacity of 25-30% compared to healthy sedentary persons.” –Endurance Training and Cardiorespiratory Conditioning after Traumatic Brain Injury, Mossberg, 2010.